State Health Insurance Assistance Program
The Kentucky State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) provides information, counseling and assistance to seniors and disabled individuals, their families and caregivers. This service is provided at no charge by local, well-trained counselors.
The program seeks to educate the general public and Medicare beneficiaries so they are better able to make informed decisions about their health care. SHIP does not sell any health insurance products.
- Educate seniors on health insurance coverage, benefits and consumer rights;
- Provide assistance and education on a one-on-one basis or through educational forums;
- Protect consumers against fraud or misdirected collections; and
- Empower consumers to make informed health insurance choices.
SHIP provides the following services:
- One-on-one counseling by telephone or in person;
- Presentations to community groups;
- Printed educational and informational materials; and
- Referrals (connections to other agencies).
||What can SHIP do for you?
The KY SHIP has partnered with the Department for Public Health Kentucky Prescription Assistance Program (KPAP) to become a partner site. The KPAP helps qualified persons access prescription drug programs offered by drug manufacturers, discount programs and discount pharmacy programs.
Through the KPAP partnership, SHIP will help those who qualify and/or their families access available prescription drugs for free or at reduced cost. Our service area includes all 120 counties.
Please call the statewide SHIP Hotline at (877) 293-7447 (option #2) or call DAIL at (502) 564-6930 and ask for a SHIP counselor.
Visit the KPAP Website for more information and resources including a KPAP brochure for potential partner sites.