State Health Insurance Assistance Program
The Kentucky State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) provides information, counseling and assistance to seniors and disabled individuals, their family members and caregivers. This service is provided at no charge by local, well-trained counselors.
The program seeks to educate the general public and Medicare beneficiaries so they are better able to make informed decisions about their health care. SHIP does not sell any health insurance products.
- Educate seniors on health insurance coverage, benefits and consumer rights;
- Provide assistance and education, on a one-on-one basis or through educational forums;
- Protect consumers against fraud or misdirected collections; and
- Empower consumers to make informed health insurance choices.
SHIP provides the following services:
- One-on-one counseling by telephone or in person;
- Presentations to community groups;
- Printed educational and informational materials; and
- Referrals (connections to other agencies).
||What can SHIP do for you?
SHIP can help you:
- Understand Medicare and/or Medicaid coverage and supplemental insurance;
- Understand and compare supplemental policies and plans;
- Fill out prescription drug discount program applications; and
- Apply for public benefits.
SHIP also works in partnership with the Kentucky Medicare Partners to provide outreach and education to people with Medicare.