Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services (Banner Imagery) - Go to home page

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions for Parents and Families



1.Where do I find out about child care in my area?

Your local resource and referral agency agency can assist you in locating child care in your community.

2. Where is the resource and referral office in my area?

The Division of Child Care has a list of offices for each area served. Information on Local Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies is now available at: External LinkKentucky Partnership for Early Childhood Services, or call (877) 316-3552.

3. If I qualify for child care assistance, what types of child care providers may I use?

You may enroll your child with a licensed child care center, a certified family child care home provider or an individual who cares for no more than three unrelated children in the home and is registered to receive a child care assistance payment.

4. For child care assistance, what information do I have to provide to verify my income?

  • Verification of all income for all members in the household
    • Prior two months pay stubs, receipts, statements written by employer projecting income if not employed long enough to have pay stubs
  • Social Security or cash assistance from Supplemental Security Income - For all countable household members.
  • TANF - Assistance from Temporary Assistance to Needy Families.
  • Maintenance/alimony - Allowance paid to one spouse by the other for support pending or after legal separation or divorce.
  • Child Support - money paid by a non-custodial parent for the benefit of the child, which includes direct payments to a custodial parent and payments paid through the Friend of the Court, Domestic Relations or Cabinet for Health and Families Services, DCBS, Division of Child Support.  This also includes legally obligated child support paid to a third party on the applicants/recipients behalf.
  • Self Employment Income - The gross receipts minus expenses from a business, professional enterprise, or partnerships.  May accept latest tax return as income documentation.
  • Farm Self Employment Income - The gross receipts minus operating expenses from the operation of a farm by a person's own account, as an owner, renter, or sharecropper.  The latest tax return may be accepted as income documentation.
  • Tips reported by parents maintained on a tip log.
  • Any other unearned income received by a countable household member.

5.  Does the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) have any income exemptions?

Exemptions from income calculations include, but are not limited to:

  • Food stamps - The information is required to be collected and reported for federal reporting purposes, but not counted in the income calculation.
  • One-time lump payments (i.e. lottery winnings, school loans)
  • Income received as a foster parent.
  • Court awards
  • Gifts
  • Military education benefits
  • K-TAP received on behalf of the child only
  • Work study income in KCTC referrals
  • Housing stipends from VISTA and Americorps programs
Frequently Asked Questions for Child-Care Providers




1. Has my child care check been mailed?

Billing for families that receive child care assistance is handled by service agents across the state. The service agents are responsible for processing the billing forms and having information available regarding checks.  Any questions about billing or checks should be addressed to the service agent in your area.  Checks are processed daily for prior month service.  Information about the date the checks are processed is available, but the date the check was mailed is handled by another office.

2. Do I have to pay taxes on child care subsidy money I receive from the state?

Possibly, based on your tax status. Subsidy child care payments are 1099 reportable miscellaneous income. The IRS requires the reporting of all non-employee compensation for services rendered in excess of $600.

Taxes are reported for individuals, sole proprietorships, partnerships, estates/trusts, corporations and public service corporations. Tax reporting forms (1099) are sent to individuals, sole proprietorships and partnerships. For additional information, contact your tax consultant.

3. Do I have to report subsidy payments, food stamps, K-TAP, Medicaid or other payments received from public assistance programs?

Yes, income received through public assistance programs must be reported to your caseworker.

4. Where do I find available training that I need as a child care provider? 

Your local resource and referral agency maintains a calendar of training in your area. Call (877) 316-3552 for additional training information.


Last Updated 5/9/2016