Division of Family Support
The Division of Family Support is responsible for administering the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (K-TAP), Kentucky Works Program (KWP), Family Alternatives Diversion (FAD) Program, and the Medicaid programs. Applications for these programs are taken in Department for Community Based Services offices in all 120 counties.
The division also manages the Community Services Block Grant, the Nutrition Education Program, the SNAP Nutrition Education Program, the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, State Supplementation, and assists with administration of the Electronic Benefit Transfer cards, along with policy development for all division program areas.
||The Family Self-Sufficiency Branch (FSSB)
The Family Self-Sufficiency Branch helps low-income families in Kentucky with the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash benefit program. In Kentucky, the cash assistance program is called the Kentucky Transitional Assistance Program (K-TAP). K-TAP provides a short-term cash benefit to families with children younger than 8, or younger than 19 if a full-time secondary student. Most adults who receive K-TAP must participate in a work activity.
For more information, contact your local Department for Community Based Services office. Applications for assistance may be made in all 120 counties.
||Medical Support and Benefits Branch (MSBB)
The Medical Support and Benefit Branch (MSBB) consists of the Medicaid Policy Section, the Case Processing Section and the Medicaid Technical Support Section.
Medicaid Policy Section
- Develops procedural instructions for the Medicaid Program
- Reviews state and federal regulations regarding Medicaid
- Serves as a clearinghouse for policy clarifications
- Provides technical assistance as requested by DCBS field staff
Case Processing Section
- Maintains working caseload of adult guardianship cases
- Determines retro medical assistance for SSI recipients
- Issues emergency medical cards for SSI recipients
- Distributes material and correspondence to DCBS field staff
- Issues replacement medical cards
- Issues letters confirming Medicaid eligibility
- Makes KenPAC provider changes for KenPAC physicians
MSBB is responsible for developing procedural instructions and forms for the Medicaid Program. MSBB also provides technical assistance to DCBS field staff and provides information concerning the Medicaid Program and Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) for Medicaid recipients, other agencies, the general public and community organizations.
For information, contact: CHFS DFS Medicaid Policy
275 E. Main St., 3E-I
Frankfort, KY 40621
||Nutrition Assistance Branch (NAB)
The Nutrition Assistance Branch (NAB) consists of the Nutrition Program Assistance Section, the Claims Management Section and the Simplified Assistance for the Elderly (SAFE) staff.
Nutrition Program Assistance Section
- Develops procedural instructions and issues policy clarifications regarding the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) in Kentucky
- Reviews state and federal SNAP regulations
- Provides technical assistance to DCBS field staff
Claims Management Section
- Oversees the collection of overpayments for programs administered by the Division of Family Support
- Tracks claims referred to the Office of Inspector General for investigation or prosecution
Simplified Assistance for the Elderly (SAFE) staff
- Administer a simplified SNAP program specifically for SSI recipients age 60 or over
- Assists potential SAFE applicants in determining whether SNAP or SAFE would provide the greatest benefit to their household
The SNAP application form is available in various languages. To find the application you need, please go to the SNAP Application page. You may also call 1-855-306-8959 to apply by phone. Once your application is received, you will be contacted to complete an interview. The head of your household, or an authorized representative, must be interviewed before the application can be completed.
For more information on SNAP, contact your local Department for Community Based Services (DCBS) office.
||Policy Development Branch
The Policy Development Branch centralizes the policy development and policy oversight functions for Family Support programs including: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), SNAP Benefits, Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) and State Supplementation.
Additionally, the branch administers the division's contracts funded through these programs and the programs' federal and state funding streams.
For information, contact: CHFS Policy Development
275 E. Main St., 3E-I
Frankfort, KY 40621