||Annual Training and Kickoff Event
The AmeriCorps Launch, our annual training and kickoff event, is traditionally held each fall to introduce a new class of AmeriCorps members embarking on a year of service to the commonwealth.
As part of the event, new and returning Kentucky AmeriCorps members receive training and participate in a swearing-in ceremony.
2016 Kentucky National Service Celebration
October 18-21, 2016 marked a special training and celebration event with all streams of national service, held at the Owensboro Convention Center, in collaboration with the Kentucky Senior Service Corps Association. The annual event, often referred to as the "launch" marks the kickoff of the AmeriCorps service year. The Kentucky National Service Swearing-in ceremony was held on October 19, 2016.
400+ AmeriCorps members and Senior Corps volunteers from across the state, sworn in by Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) CEO Wendy Spencer. Kentucky AmeriCorps members participated in three service projects, with the following results:
- 40,395 nutrient-enriched meals packed with Love the Hungry-Louisville, which were sent to Haiti to help with the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew;
- 600 blessing bags assembled for individuals experiencing homeless (bags included personal hygiene products such as soap, shampoo, toothbrush, etc.; socks; snacks, and encouraging note written by members);
- 1,800 encouraging notes written by members attached to stuffed animals as part of Kosair Charities Bears on Patrol program, which are provided to first responders to give to children during traumatic situations to bring them comfort.
Read the press release and check out photos on Facebook or search for #1of1million on Twitter.
||2015 Kentucky AmeriCorps Launch
On Sept. 10, more than 350 AmeriCorps members from across the Commonwealth gathered at the Capital Plaza Hotel in Frankfort for training and service projects, in honor of the 9/11 Day of Service and Remembrance. On Sept. 11, members marched up Capital Avenue to participate in the swearing-in ceremony on the landing of the State Capitol.
2015 Kentucky AmeriCorps Celebration Recap Video
2015 Kentucky AmeriCorps Celebration Photo Book
Press Release: Kentuckians Pledge to Get Things Done through AmeriCorps
Members rotated between four service sessions with the following results:
- Members packed 41,256 meals with Love the Hungry (enough to feed 165,024 people). Meals were distributed to the Christian Appalachian Project and Love the Hungry’s international partners.
- Members attached handwritten notes to 1,600 stuffed animals as part of Kosair Charities Bears On Patrol program.
- Each member wrote a reflection letter to themselves that will be given back to them at the end of their service term. Members also wrote letters to veterans and notes of encouragement for other members (2,000+ total).
- Members participated in an interactive team-building training.
Sept. 10 photos on Facebook
Sept. 11 photos on Facebook
||2014 Kentucky AmeriCorps Launch
Kentucky's Celebration of the AmeriCorps 20th Anniversary
2014 marked the 20th anniversary of AmeriCorps and Kentucky held a statewide celebration in downtown Louisville on Sept. 12, 2014, for AmeriCorps members and alumni serving in Kentucky.
Our launch celebration was a huge success. Visit our AmeriCorps 20th Anniversary page for news, photos and updates from Kentucky's events!
Visit our Kentucky AmeriCorps Alums page for information about the leadership awards and Kentucky's Alums chapter.
2013 Kentucky AmeriCorps Regional Launch Events
AmeriCorps members engage in intense, direct service which sometimes can take an emotional and/or physical toll. This is why the KCCVS launch featured speakers discussing self care and the importance of a positive attitude with members at the AmeriCorps launch events. Based on feedback from participants at the two regional events held in October, these topics really struck a chord with members.
Debborah M. Arnold, executive director for the Kentucky Community Crisis Response Board and Lt. Col. Tammy Hurst, deputy director of Human Resources for the Kentucky National Guard, spoke at both regional events. The Eastern launch was held at the Blue Licks Battlefield State Resort Park on Oct. 11, and the Western Launch was held at Rough River Dam State Resort Park on Oct. 18. Besides the sessions, members and program staff were led in a reaffirmation of the AmeriCorps pledge of service by KCCVS commissioners.
Visit the KCCVS Facebook page to see more photos from the Kentucky AmeriCorps regional launch events.
2012 Kentucky AmeriCorps Regional Launch Events
Read about the AmeriCorps Launch events in the November 2012 KCCVS Newsletter.
2011 Kentucky AmeriCorps Member Conference
The 2011-12 Kentucky AmeriCorps Member Conference was held on Nov. 2 and 3 at the Capital Plaza Hotel in Frankfort. The conference is the program year kickoff and training event traditionally known as the Launch.
Read about the conference in the Nov. 2011 KCCVS Newsletter.
Check out photos from the conference on the KCCVS Flickr website.