Governor's Service Awards
||20th Annual Awards
Nomination deadline extended to Feb. 27, 2015
Nominate an extraordinary individual, group, nonprofit or business in one of 14 categories for service completed in 2014.
Watch Gov. and Mrs. Beshear's About Kentucky commentary on the awards program.
Read the article by Rep. Mike Denham: Volunteers and nonprofit organizations should be recognized for service
Deadline Extended: Friday, Feb. 27, 2015
20th Annual Governor's Service Awards - general information, category criteria, nomination form, narrative questions (page 4) and submission instructions
Nominations Sought for Governor’s Service Awards - press release (PDF version), Jan. 16, 2015
Governor's Service Awards Judging Worksheet
Past Governor's Service Award Winners
Tips for Submitting Nominations
The actual nomination form and narrative questions start on page 4 of the 20th Annual Governor's Service Awards document.
If you open the document in your browser, use the Save or Save As feature to save a copy on your computer, then begin to fill it out.
To download the form directly to your computer (without opening in your browser), right click on the link and choose "Save link as" or "Save target as." I would recommend saving it to your desktop so you can easily find the document.
If you are using an older version of Adobe Reader, you may want to update to the latest version.
Try attaching the completed nomination form to an email as you normally would, instead of using the Submit feature in Adobe.
Email confirmation for receipt of submissions is usually sent within one business day, but may take up to three business days depending on the number of nominations received that day.
Don't forget to check the size of your emailed files - if you haven't received confirmation within the stated time period, try resending the files separately to the email address on the form and/or contact Shannon Ramsey, 502-564-7420, ext. 3841.
Remember, you can mail nomination(s) to:
KCCVS, Attn: Gov. Service Awards
275 E. Main St., 3W-E
Frankfort, KY 40601-2321
Electronic submissions should be sent by midnight on Feb. 27, and mailed submissions must be postmarked by that date.
|| General Information
The Governor's Service Awards program offers a rare glimpse into the lives and achievements of Kentuckians who serve without expectation of compensation, recognition or commendation.
The Governor's Office launched the program in 1975. Since 1995, the Kentucky Commission on Community Volunteerism and Service (KCCVS) has managed the awards program. It’s been our distinct privilege over the years to recognize a few of the thousands whose volunteer service contributes immeasurably to a better Kentucky.
Lifetime Achievement Award Recipients
- 2013: Ginny Ramsey
- 2012: Dr. Paula Maionchi
- 2011: George B. Merrifield Jr. and Jeanette Elder
- 2010: Bill Burch
- 2009: Charles Stiles
- 2008: Dr. Merrill A. Winchester
- 2007: Robley H. Rex and Garnett Fairchild
Questions about the awards program should be directed to Shannon Ramsey, 502-564-7420, ext. 3841.
||19th Annual Awards
Gov. Steve Beshear honored 14 groups and individuals from across the state for their volunteer and service contributions at a ceremony in Frankfort on July 22, 2014.
Gov. Beshear and Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services Deputy Secretary Eric Friedlander presented the Governor’s Service Awards at the Governor’s Mansion.
Gov. Beshear said the event was a chance to honor the state’s leaders and innovators – volunteers and national service members – and the example they set for others.
“It’s been said that a lot of people doing a little bit can make a big difference,” he said. “You have shown that one person doing a lot, can cause a wave of change.”
- Bonnie Clark, National Service Award
- Mark C. Dobbs, Volunteer Coordinator Award
- Jason Schubert, Kentucky Ambassador Award
- Lynda Frazier, First Lady's Award
- Jody Keeley, Challenge Award
- Breaking Bread, Faith-Based Group Award
- Humana Government Business, Corporate Award
- Union County Garden Coalition, Group Volunteer Service Award
- Bardstown At Home, Nonprofit Organization Award
- Sgt. Jerry Hall Jr., Veteran Volunteer Service Award
- Shelia Carroll, Senior Volunteer Service Award
- Gary Jones, Volunteer Service Award
- Nathaniel Jarboe, Youth Volunteer Service Award
- Ginny Ramsey, Lifetime Achievement Award
Photos, News and Media
Ceremony photos on Facebook
ALL event photos on Flickr
To download, click on the desired photo, then the arrow to download photo and then choose the size.
Event Program (Winner Narratives)
CHFS Press release July 22, 2014
KyForward.com article July 23, 2014
||18th Annual Awards
Fourteen groups and individuals from across the state were honored for their volunteer and service contributions at a ceremony in Frankfort on Tuesday, June 25, 2013.
Lt. Gov. Jerry Abramson and CHFS Sec. Audrey Tayse Haynes, presented the Governor’s Service Awards for at the Governor’s Mansion. The awards honored for service completed in 2012.
- Dr. Paula Maionchi, Lifetime Achievement Award, Richmond/Madison County, nominated by Jeri Allison.
- Benjamin Brown Otten, Challenge Award, Louisville/Jefferson County, nominated by Ron Roark.
- PNC Bank, Corporate Award, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, nominated by Laurie Wolsing.
- HOTEL INC Homeless Outreach Program, Faith-Based Group Award, Bowling Green/Warren County, nominated by Sharli Rogers.
- Alicia McClurg and Kim Standafer, Group Volunteer Service Award, West Liberty/Morgan County, nominated by Heather Bryant.
- Carolyn R. Belmar, National Service Award, Louisville/Jefferson County, nominated by Marian V. Gosling.
- The Kentucky Center Arts in Healing program, Nonprofit Organization Award, Louisville/Jefferson County, nominated by Rhonda L. Smith.
- James Terrell, Senior Volunteer Service Award, Cadiz/Trigg County, nominated by Brenda Southwick.
- Marian V. Gosling, Volunteer Coordinator Award, Louisville/Jefferson County, nominated by Cindy Venable.
- Laura Jo “Jodie” Baker, Volunteer Service Award, Lexington/Fayette County, nominated by Elizabeth Myers.
- Morgan Guess, Youth Volunteer Service Award, Paducah/McCracken County,
nominated by Susan Guess.
- Mary Ruth Hawkins, First Lady's Award, Shepherdsville/Bullitt County, nominated by Heather McDonald.
- MSUCorps, AmeriCorps Program award*
- Southern Bluegrass Service Region, DCBS Region award*
*Special traveling award for Make A Difference Day.
Photos, News and Media
Awards Ceremony and Reception Video, 6-25-13
Ceremony Photos, KCCVS Facebook page 6-25-13
Ceremony Program, online version 6-25-13
Gena Bigler: Kentucky is lucky to have many good people standing up and saying ‘why not’, KyForward.com 6-26-13
Governor’s Service Awards given to 14 in Frankfort ceremony, KyForward.com 6-26-13
HOTEL INC Wins Kentucky Governor’s Service Award For Service To Homeless, PRWeb.com 6-25-13
Lt. Gov. Abramson Honors Exemplary Volunteers; Service from 2012 Recognized, CHFS Newsroom 6-25-13
Survey Results - Gov. Awards 2013
What's so great about the Governor's Awards? article from the KCCVS Newsletter, January 2013
More of us are just helping out article from Cincinnati.com, January 2013
For information about past awards winners, contact Shannon Ramsey.