Volunteering in Kentucky
||National and State Data
Giving back to our community is something we can all agree on – and taking this action is a powerful way to bring together Americans from all walks of life to build stronger, more equitable communities.
Check out the results of Volunteering and Civic Life in America—a report that shows how Americans of all ages are working together to keep our nation strong.
- 62.6 million Americans volunteered 7.8 billion hours last year (that means one in four Americans volunteered through an organization in the last year)
- This service has an estimated economic value of $184 billion (based on Independent Sector’s estimate of the average value of a volunteer hour)
- 138 million Americans engaged in something we call informal volunteering, such as watching each other’s children, house sitting or helping seniors with shopping.
Civic engagement is the cornerstone of a strong nation. In the past 14 years, Americans have volunteered a total of 113 billion hours, estimated to be worth $2.3 trillion.
Overall, in Kentucky in 2015:
- 23.5 percent of residents volunteer, ranking Kentucky 36th among the 50 states and the District of Columbia
- 763,706 Kentuckians volunteered
- 20.7 volunteer hours per capita
- 84.34 million hours of service
- $1.7 billion of service contributed
- 45.8 percent of residents donate $25 or more to charity
Check out more Kentucky data
Are you interested in volunteering?
Contact your area volunteer center (see list below) or local United Way.
Nationally, the estimated value of a volunteer’s time for 2015 is $23.56 per hour, according to the Independent Sector, an advocacy group for volunteers and community service groups. The estimated value of a volunteer’s time in Kentucky is $21.16 per hour. Learn more about the value of volunteer time.
Reports on volunteerism and national service can be found on the Corporation for National and Community Service Research Reports website.
Are you interested in becoming a National Service member?
Feed your volunteer spirit by serving others full-time as an AmeriCorps or Senior Corps member. Learn more about National Service in Kentucky.
||Kentucky Volunteer Centers
Volunteerism and Service Internet Resources
Disabilities Inclusion Resources
Volunteer Insurance Policies from CIMA
Click on the links below to complete the online application for the type of insurance policy needed.
For more information, call CIMA at (800) 222-8920.