Governor's Pandemic Influenza Summit
Information presented at the summit is accurate as of 9/3/09. Information on H1N1 may have changed since these presentations were made. For the latest informationon H1N1, visit healthalerts.ky.gov.
To view summit presentations and speaker bios, select below:
Welcome and Opening Remarks View Video
- William Hacker, M.D., FAAP, CPE, Commissioner, Kentucky Department for Public Health, view bio.
- Janie Miller, Secretary, Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services, view bio.
- Helen W. Mountjoy, Secretary, Kentucky Education and Workforce Development Cabinet, view bio.
Keynote Address View Video
- Governor Steven L. Beshear, Commonwealth of Kentucky, view bio.
H1N1 Pandemic – What are we facing? The Science Behind the Pandemic View Video, View Presentation
- W. Paul McKinney, M.D., FACP, view bio.
Professor of Medicine
Associate Dean, School of Public Health and Information Sciences
University of Louisville
The Public Health/Emergency Management Perspective View Video
The Educational System Perspective View Video, View Presentation
- Terry Holliday, Ph.D., Commissioner, Kentucky Department of Education, view bio.
The National Perspective View Video, View Presentation
- Commander Patricia A. Pettis, M.S., APN-BC, view bio.
Regional Emergency Coordinator, Health and Human Services/Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness Response - Region IV
Community Mitigation View Video, View Presentation
- Ruth Carrico, PhD, Assistant Professor, view bio.
Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences
Center for Health Hazards Preparedness
University of Louisville
The Business Perspective View Video, View Presentation
- Peter Fass, MD , Consumer and Industrial Medical Director, General Electric, view bio.
Reports from Breakout Sessions View Video
Closing Remarks View Video
||Summit Breakout Sessions
It Takes a Community -- Community Partnerships Are Vital in Responding to a Pandemic View Video, View Presentation
- Facilitator: Jim Rousey, Director, Madison County Health Department, view bio; Capt. Doug Thoroughman, Ph.D., CDC Career Epidemiology Field Officer
- Presenters: Madison County Judge Executive – Kent Clark, view bio.
Madison County School Superintendent – Tommy Floyd, view bio.
Madison County Emergency Management Director – Carl Richards, view bio.
Madison County Hospitals – Pat Patton, Saint Joseph Hospital – Berea, view bio; Pat Cornelison, Pattie A. Clay RMC – Richmond, view bio; Brenda Marcum, Pattie A. Clay RMC -- Richmond.
- Topics: Preparing as a community, developing community relationships and partnerships. Understanding day-to-day missions and partnerships mutual benefits.
- Handouts: Community Planning, School Pandemic Response Matrix
Healthcare- Hospital and Clinic setting focused View Video, View Presentation
- Facilitator: Dick Bartlett, Kentucky Hospital Association, Mark Sizemore, Kentucky Department for Public Health
- Presenter: Bill Ferrell, HEM, Emergency Preparedness Coordinator, Norton Healthcare
- Topics: Personnel Policies for healthcare workers, Vaccinating employees, Protecting the Workforce, Logistical Issues
Education View Video, View Presentation
- Facilitator: Karen Erwin, R.N., MSN, Kentucky Department of Education, Kraig Humbaugh, M.D., M.P.H., Kentucky Department for Public Health
- Presenter: Tom Ballowe, Ph.D., Director of Special Programs, Paducah Public Schools, view bio.
- Topics: Utilizing the CDC planning checklist for schools, discussion of an existing school plan.
- Handouts: Planning Tool for Schools, School Planning Checklist, Sample School Pandemic Plan, School Details Sample, Q & A for Schools, Recommendations for Schools, KDE Contact List
Residential Living/Group Living Facility Issues – What if you can’t “send them home?” View Video, View Presentation
- Facilitator: TJ Sugg, Kentucky Department for Public Health
- Presenter: Ruth Carrico, Ph.D., University of Louisville, view bio.
- Topics: Mitigation in the residential settings such as college and university resident halls, adult assisted living, long-term care facilities, correctional facilities and others.
Risk Communication View Video, View Presentation
- Facilitator: Gwenda Bond, Assistant Communications Director, Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services, view bio.
- Presenter: David Thompson, Kentucky Press Association
Gary White, President/CEO of the Kentucky Broadcasters Association
- Topics: Psychology of Risk Communication during a crisis, working with the media.
Health Care- Public Health Focused View Video
- Facilitator: Charlie Ross, Director, Purchase District Health Department
- Presenter: Kraig Humbaugh, MD, MPH, Kentucky Department for Public Health, view bio.
- Topics: Community Mitigation, vaccine availability/target groups/distribution, mass vaccination clinic issues.
Healthcare- Surge Capacity View Video
- Facilitator: Ruth Carrico, PhD, University of Louisville, view bio.
- Presenter: Charles Woods, MD, Division of Pediatric Infectious Disease, University of Louisville - View Woods Presentation
Scott LaJoie, PhD, School of Public Health & Information Science, Univ. of Louisville - View LaJoie Presentation
- Topics: Surge capacity in a clinical setting, resources to address workforce issues and staff stress.
Private Sector Morning Session– Preparing for Pandemic Influenza View Video, View Presentation
Private Sector Afternoon Session View Video
- Facilitator: Dr. Richard Clover, University of Louisville
Kim Thomas, Kentucky Department for Public Health
- Presenter: Peter Fass, MD, Consumer and Industrial Medical Director, General Electric, view bio.
- Topics: Private sector needs, Continuity of Operations Planning, Worldwide view of the pandemic.