Enrollment Procedures for First Steps Primary Level Evaluator
Qualifications and approval procedures for becoming a First Steps Primary Level Evaluator
Step 1: Review the qualifications for being approved as a Primary Level Evaluator (PLE):
• Demonstrate the highest entry level requirements for one of the following professions.
• A Bachelor’s degree in related field; and
• Two (2) years of experience working directly with young children birth through two (2) years of age, including children with disabilities or atypical development; and
• Having had one (1) year experience in using standardized norm referenced instruments and procedures that evaluate infants and toddlers birth through two years of age in all five of the following developmental areas: cognitive, physical, social/emotional, communication, and adaptive, completed as part of formal training or in supervised practice, or completed a mentorship during the first year of providing services in First Steps as approved by the Cabinet for Health and Family Services.
Step 2: Send a copy of the following documents to Jackie Sampers, PhD:
• Cover letter that specifies your request to be approved as a PLE;
• Copy of current license; and a
• Copy of Diploma or transcript of degree (bachelor’s or higher in a related field); and
• Documentation of two (2) years experience working directly with children birth through two (2) years of age, including children with disabilities or atypical development.
Click here for acceptable documentation
Jackie Sampers, PhD
Early Childhood Development Branch
275 East Main Street HS2W-C
Frankfort, KY 40621
Step 3: Register for online Service Provider Training
Once your educational documentation is approved you will receive email confirmation of your registration for the on-line training. This link offers instructions for creating an account and registration procedures.
Step 4: First Steps Face-to-Face Orientation Registration Instructions
Once you have successfully completed the On-Line Orientation register for face-to-face orientation provided by a First Steps Technical Assistance Team in your region.