Department for Public Health
Stephanie Mayfield Gibson, MD, FCAP
275 East Main Street
Frankfort, KY 40621
The mission of the Kentucky Department for Public Health (KDPH) is to improve the health and safety of people in Kentucky through prevention, promotion and protection.
KDPH is responsible for developing and operating state public health programs and activities for the citizens of Kentucky. The department oversees programs designed to improve the lives of citizens and visitors through prevention of negative health outcomes, promotion of healthy lifestyles and protection from diseases, injury and environmental health impacts. The department has almost 150 different programs to help Kentuckians become healthier in cooperation with its partners such as local health departments, universities, private providers, etc. Some of these programs are listed below.
Programs that prevent
- HANDS (Health Access Nurturing and Development Services)
- Newborn Metabolic Screening Program
- Kentucky Oral Health Program
- Infectious Disease Program
- Kentucky Colon Cancer Screening Program
- Kentucky Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Program
Programs that promote
- WIC (Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children)
- Smoking cessation
- First Steps Program
- Kentucky Physician’s Care Program and Prescription Assistance Program
Programs that protect
- Environmental inspections
- Immunization program
- Communicable disease investigations
- Kentucky Healthy Homes and Lead Poisoning Prevention
- Public Health Preparedness programs
To support many of these programs, the department relies on high-quality data to guide decision making at the state and local levels such as the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, Immunization Registry and Office of Vital Statistics.
These are just a handful of the services public health provides every day to support of vision our healthier people and healthier communities.
The department is organized into seven divisions with the Commissioner's Office providing oversight and support for the divisions and programs. The Center for Performance Management, the Office of Health Equity and the Public Health Nursing Office are located in the Commissioner's Office. More information about each division can be found on the links at the left of this page.