Adult Preventive Program
The Adult Preventive Program offers comprehensive preventive health services to help adult Kentuckians stay healthy. Preventive health services are available to low-income, uninsured men and women by certified nurses, advanced registered nurse practitioners and physicians in all Kentucky health departments.
For additional information about your risk for disease, visit Your Disease Risk at the Harvard Center for Cancer Prevention
The Adult Preventive Visit includes:
Health Screenings such as
- Cancer screenings for men such as prostate and colon.
- High blood pressure
- Counseling for other age appropriate health screenings
- Blood glucose: the amount of sugar in the blood
- Total Cholesterol/Lipid Profile: the amount and type of good and bad fat in the blood
- Fecal occult blood (FOBT): colon cancer screening for blood in the bowel
- Tuberculosis (TB): checking for contagious bacteria in the lungs
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD)
- Blood pressure measurement
Immunizations - as needed
Health Promotion Education and Counseling
Timely provider referrals for management and treatment of detected medical problems.
Contact your county health department to schedule an appointment for an adult preventive visit.
Local Health Department Listing
||Before Your Visit
Before your visit to the Health Department for an exam, review this Be Prepared Brochure to make sure you take all the information you will need.
The more your doctor knows about your medical history and your family's medical history the better he or she may be able to diagnose and treat you. Gathering what you need to create your own Family Health Portrait will help you determine the type of information you need to gather about your family's medical history.
For assistance in maintaining this information, visit My Family Health Portrait.