Complete the online enrollment for Kentucky’s National Background Check Program
||Accessing the KARES Web Portal
The KARES Web portal is accessed through a secured gateway called the Kentucky Online Gateway (KOG). Each user will need to create a KOG user account to access the KARES system.
Only licensed facilities that are eligible to participate will be able to create a KARES Portal Account. To enroll in the program and begin using the KARES portal, please see the document below on how to create your KARES user account.
A corporate email address should be used when creating your KARES portal user account. The KARES Helpdesk will deny unauthorized requests.
KARES User Account Creation and System Access
Access the Kentucky Online Gateway
Once inside the KARES system, access the KARES user guide and training videos by clicking the Help link located at the top of the screen.
||National Background Check Required Forms
Employers participating in the National Background Check Program must complete an applicant self-disclosure form, OIG 1:190-B and complete a consent and release form, OIG 1:190-C. These forms are found in the KARES Web portal.
||Background Check Process
- Employer logs into the KARES portal and submits job application information.
- Immediate response from KARES checking:
- Abuse registries
- Professional licensure status
- If the applicant is not disqualified due to the registry and licensure check, the employer submits an online payment for fingerprint background check.
- Employer provides applicant with the barcode fingerprint form.
- Applicant takes fingerprint form and photo ID to fingerprint site within 30 days.
- Upon submission of fingerprints employer may hire applicant provisionally for 60 days.
- NBCP staff receives results of state and FBI background checks to make fitness determination.
- Provider is sent electronic notification applicant is cleared for or disqualified from hire.
- If disqualified, NBCP notifies applicant with explanation of appeals process.