Online Enrollment for Kentucky’s National Background Check Program
||Accessing the KARES Web Portal
The KARES Web portal is accessed through a secured gateway called the Kentucky Online Gateway (KOG). Each user will need to create a KOG user account to access the KARES system.
Only licensed facilities that are eligible to participate will be able to create a KARES Portal Account. To enroll in the program and begin using the KARES portal, please see the document below on how to create your KARES user account.
A corporate email address should be used when creating your KARES portal user account. The KARES Helpdesk will deny unauthorized requests.
KARES User Account Creation and System Access
Access the Kentucky Online Gateway
Once inside the KARES system, access the KARES user guide and training videos by clicking the Help link located at the top of the screen.
Users who are unable to locate facility information necessary to complete user account setup, may need to imported. If you are unable to locate facility information, please email the KARES Helpdesk.
||National Background Check Required Forms
Employers participating in the National Background Check Program must complete an applicant self-disclosure form, OIG 1:190-B and complete a waiver agreement and statement form, OIG 1:190-C. These forms are found in the KARES Web portal.
||Background Check Process
- Employer logs into the KARES portal and submits job application information.
- Immediate response from KARES checking:
- Abuse registries
- Professional licensure status
- If the applicant is not disqualified due to the registry and licensure check, the employer submits an online payment for fingerprint background check.
- Employer provides applicant with the barcode fingerprint form.
- Applicant takes fingerprint form and government issued photo ID to fingerprint site within 30 days.
- Upon submission of fingerprints employer may hire applicant provisionally for 60 days while awaiting background check results.
- NBCP staff receive and review results of the state and FBI background check and make a fitness determination.
- Provider may view the fitness determination in the KARES web portal along with any available state criminal history report (once service is available from KSP).
- If disqualified, NBCP notifies applicant with explanation of the appeals process and applicant rights to receive a copy of their criminal history report.