The Home and Community Based (HCB) waiver is part of Kentucky's 1915(c) HCBS Medicaid waiver program. HCB provides assistance to the elderly or to adults and children with physical disabilities to help them live in the community as independently as possible.
HCB offers a variety of services to support each participant's goals and preferences. Services include but are not limited to:
- Adult Day Health Care
- Attendant Care
- Environmental and Minor Home Adaptation
- Home Delivered Meals
- Non-Specialized and Specialized Respite Care
A full listing of services and their definitions can be found in section five of the HCB regulation.
You may qualify for HCB waiver services if you:
- Are age 65 or older and/or have a physical disability.
- Meet the requirements for residence in a nursing facility. These are defined in Kentucky Administrative Regulation 907 KAR 1:022 .
- Meet the financial qualifications for Medicaid. There are special financial qualifications applied to the HCB waiver program. Read the Medicaid Waiver Services Fact Sheet for details.
If you are interested in applying for HCB services or want to apply on someone's behalf, you can complete an application online using the benefind Self Service Portal.
If you need more information about the HCB program, please email DMS or call (844) 784-5614.
Participant Directed Services
Participants in the HCB waiver program have the option to hire their own employees to provide non-medical, non-residential services. This is called Participant Directed Services, or PDS. These employees can include friends, neighbors or certain family members. Visit the DMS PDS page for more information.