The Model II Waiver (MIIW) is part of Kentucky's 1915(c) HCBS Medicaid waiver program. MIIW provides assistance to individuals who use a ventilator for 12 or more hours a day to allow them to live in the community as independently as possible.
Private Duty Nursing (PDN): A MIIW participant may receive up to 16 hours of PDN a day from a registered nurse (RN), a licensed practical nurse (LPN), or a respiratory therapist (RT). The waiver participant’s assessment, ventilator dependency needs, and provider staffing determine how many hours of PDN the participant receives.
You may qualify for MIIW services if you:
- Are ventilator dependent for 12 or more hours a day as defined in Kentucky Administrative Regulation 907 KAR 1:022 Section 7(2)(a).
- Have a permanent tracheostomy for positive pressure ventilation.
- Require 24-hour a day, high-intensity nursing care services.
- Have a strong family support system, including a primary and secondary caregiver.
- Have a primary caregiver who understands the purposes, responsibilities, risks, and benefits of home ventilator therapy.
- Meet the financial qualifications for Medicaid. There are special financial qualifications applied to the MIIW program. Read the Medicaid Waiver Services fact Sheet for details.
If you are interested in applying for MIIW services or want to apply on someone's behalf, you can complete an application online using the benefind Self Service Portal or in person at your local Department for Community Based Services (DCBS) office.
As part of the application, you or your caregiver will need to complete and submit the MAP-115 and MAP-116 forms.
A registered nurse will help finish the application process by:
- Completing a MAP-350 form.
- Collecting a completed MAP-10 form.
- Conducting an assessment of the applicant using the MAP-351A form.
- Completing a person-centered service plan (PCSP) that details the services the applicant needs.
These documents will be submitted to the Department for Medicaid Services to determine if the applicant meets the level of care (LOC) required to receive MIIW services.
Continuing MIIW Services
To continue receiving MIIW services, you must submit a completed MAP-10 every 60 days. You must have your LOC reassessed every six months.