Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

If you plan to operate a food processing or manufacturing firm in Kentucky, the DPH Food Safety Branch can help you get there.

If you plan to move into an existing building where a food processor or manufacturer recently operated, contact the Food Safety Branch or area food manufacturing inspector to determine if your structure is compliant with food safety laws and regulations without costly renovations. 

If you plan to move into an existing structure that never has been used by a food processor or if you intend to construct a new building, contact the Food Safety Branch or area food manufacturing inspector to see if your structure complies with food safety laws and regulations.

Submit your detailed plans in writing to the Food Safety Branch or area food manufacturing inspector. Once your plans are approved, you may begin construction of your food processing establishment. 

You must apply for a permit to operate and pay applicable fees to your area food manufacturing inspector

Provide your area food manufacturing inspector with information relating to your product, such as formulation, ingredients, the mannufacturing process, cooking, holding/storage times and temperatures and a copy of your proposed food product label. Your inspector will want to make sure you know how to safely manufacture, store, distribute and label your food products. 

Now you may be ready to request your opening inspection by your area food manufacturing inspector. The plumbing inspector will conduct the first inspection to make sure any plumbing has been performed by a licensed plumber and installed correctly. If your plumbing is acceptable, your area food manufacturing inspector will conduct your opening inspection. Once you pass opening inspection, you will receive a permit to operate. The permit is valid as long as it is renewed annually and the establishment operates in compliance with applicable food safety laws and regulations. 

For more information and applications, please contact your area inspector or the Kentucky Department for Public Health Food Safety Branch at (502) 564-7181.