Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Who We Are

The Child Protection Branch provides consultation and state program guidance for child protective services cases. Central office staff helps develop standards of practice for inclusion in the state manual and provides real-time guidance to cases as required by field personnel.

Child Protection Hot Line

If you believe a child is being abused, neglected or is dependent, please call the Child Protection Hotline number below or the Protection and Permanency office in your county.

Find Your County Office
1-877-KYSAFE1 or 1-877-597-2331 (Toll-Free)
For more area specific phone numbers please go to the Service Regions page.

The online Kentucky Child/Adult Protective Services Reporting System is available for professionals to report non-emergency situations that do not require an immediate response from our staff. The website is monitored from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Friday. Reports will not be reviewed during evenings, weekends or state holidays.

For information regarding reporting standards and investigation protocol, please review the Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect Booklet.

​Anyone who has reasonable cause to believe that a child is being physically abused, sexually abused, neglected or is dependent.

​The following basic information is requested:

  • The child's name, sex and approximate age
  • The name of the person believed to have been responsible for the abuse or neglect
  • A description of the injury, neglect or threatened harm to the child
  • The current location of the child; day care or school; home address
  • Any immediate risk to the child OR a worker going out to ensure the child's safety (i.e., guns)
  • The reporter's name and identifying information IF the caller wishes to give that information; anonymous reports are accepted and investigated.

​The reporter is given civil and criminal immunity from prosecution as long as the reporter acted in good faith. The Department for Community Based Services (DCBS) only releases the name of a reporter upon the order of a judge.

​Yes. By law the worker can interview a child at school or day care or another neutral location without the parent's prior knowledge or consent. But parents should be informed as soon as possible after completing the interview.

​No. Only the police have that authority if they feel that a child is in imminent danger. A judge can issue an emergency custody order (ECO) for a child to be picked up and held for 72 hours before a hearing. KRS 620.040(3)(b) allows a hospital administrator or a physician treating a child to hold that child without a court order but they must request an ECO within 72 hours.

​If you suspect abuse, you should call your local Department for Community Based Services office or the Child Abuse Hotline (877) 597-2331.

​No, abuse reports can be made anonymously, however in order to follow up with additional information, callers are encouraged to identify themselves.

​Reports of child abuse will be investigated by DCBS. If substantiated, children may be removed from the home and placed in foster care until their family situation can be evaluated and/or corrected. Treatment services are provided, which may make it possible for children to remain in the home.