Skip to main navigation Skip to main content

Who We Are

The Office of Vital Statistics collects, preserves and protects certificates for all births, deaths, marriages, divorce and stillbirths and issues certified copies. 

The branch records and provides for each person born in Kentucky a means of establishing legal identity, age, parentage and nationality. It also makes available a legal document of the date, place and cause of every death occurring in the state and provides a central repository for records of certain other vital events. 

Finally, the branch augments and supports the planning, management and evaluation of human resources programs and other agencies through the collection and analysis of vital statistics data.

The branch includes the Registration and Amendment Section, Certification Section, Administrative and Quality Assurance Section and Data Surveillance Section.

Programs &

Office hours:  8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday-Friday, excluding official state holidays. Orders received after 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time will be processed the next business day.

Kentucky's Vital Statistics Law, enacted by the General Assembly in 1910, provides for and legalizes the registration of births and deaths.

The Office of Vital Statistics does not have records of births or deaths prior to 1911, except delayed records of births for those born before 1911 which have been established by affidavits and documentary evidence.

Central registration of marriages and divorces began in Kentucky in June 1958. The Office of Vital Statistics does not have records of marriages or divorces prior to 1958. To inquire about marriage certificates prior to June 1958, please call the county clerk in the county where the marriage license was issued. To inquire about divorce certificates prior to June 1958, please call the circuit county clerk that granted the divorce decree.

The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives, P.O. Box 537, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, KY 40602, (502) 564-8300, has birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which enacted records collection ordinances before 1911. KDLA also has birth and death records (statewide coverage) prior to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records (statewide coverage).

Contact Information

Please read the Business Procedures for Accepting Walk-In/Mail/Phone Orders  for further information.

Vital statistics is located on the first floor in the main lobby of the  Cabinet for Human Resources Building.

Parking:  Designated visitor and handicapped parking is located at the front of the lower (basement)-level main parking lot and on the first floor-level lot. Because of building security, all visitors must enter at the first floor lobby under the canopy.

Purchase Options

Birth:  $10 US per certificate
Death, Marriage and Divorce:  $6 US per certificate

Purchase a certificate online, by phone or by fax. These orders will be processed through VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek is an independent company that the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics has partnered with to provide you with this service. 

Warning: Kentucky Vital Statistics only contracts with VitalChek for online and telephone ordering. A credit card is required for payment. We cannot vouch for other websites or services.

Online: Use the Order Vital Records Online-VitalChek button on this page to start your order or visit the VitalChek website.

You can reach VitalChek by phone at (800) 241-8322 (an additional fee is charged by VitalChek for telephone service). VitalChek accepts all major credit cards including American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa. VitalChek uses UPS for faster delivery. If a rush delivery is necessary, request delivery by UPS when placing orders for vital records. Additional fees are charged for UPS service.

In Person: Stop in our office at 275 E. Main St. in Frankfort to complete an application for a certified copy of a birth, death, marriage or divorce certificate between the hours of 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Eastern time, Monday-Friday. For further information, please read the Business Procedures for Accepting Walk-In/Mail/Phone Orders.

Directions and map to Vital Statistics Office

By Mail: Mail a check or money order (no cash) payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer along with the necessary information to: 

Office of Vital Statistics
275 E. Main St., 1E-A
Frankfort, KY 40621

Please include a return address on the envelope and the application form. Funds must be in U.S. dollars and drawn on a U.S. bank. For further information, please read the Business Procedures for accepting walk-in/mail/phone orders.

Processing Time: In most cases, orders are filled within five to seven business days. However, some orders may take longer; therefore, please allow up to 30 working days for processing of all type of certificates ordered through the mail. 

Birth Records: Expect longer delays during peak request periods from May through September. We recommend requesting certified copies of birth certificates early to avoid delays for those planning retirement and for certificates needed for sports programs, travel/passports, school enrollment and other reasons. 

Death Records: There may be delays in issuing new certified death certificates if the original certificate is not promptly filed in Frankfort by the funeral home.

Other Information 

Kentucky Electronic Death Registration System (KY-EDRS) for Funeral Home Directors and Medical Certifiers 

Business Procedures for Accepting Walk-In/Mail/Phone Orders

Registrar Guidelines

Amending Certificates

A certificate on file in this office may be amended only in accordance with Kentucky statutes and administrative regulations. If you need to correct information on a certificate, please contact the Vital Statistics office at (502) 564-4212 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (Eastern time), Monday-Friday.

How to Request an Autopsy Report

Kentucky autopsy reports can be obtained by sending a written request to the coroner in the county where the death occurred. Please contact the local county government office or the funeral home that cared for the decedent to obtain the name and address of the county coroner. You can also call (502) 564-4545 to obtain the name and address.

How to Request a Certified Copy of a Report of Birth, Death or Marriage Abroad


Consular Report of Birth Abroad is a document issued by an American embassy or consulate reflecting the facts of a birth abroad of a child acquiring US citizenship at birth through one or both parents. This record, also known as an FS-240, along with the certification of birth, DS-1350, are acceptable as proof of birth and US citizenship for all legal purposes. 

Report of the Death of an American Citizen is a document issued by an American embassy or consulate reflecting the facts of a death abroad of an American citizen. The document is based upon the local death certificate.

Certificate of Witness to Marriage is a document issued by an American embassy or consulate reflecting the facts of a marriage abroad in which at least one party is an American citizen. A consular officer must have attended the ceremony. This accommodation was discontinued in 1987.

How to Apply for a Certified Copy of One of These Reports

Submit a signed, written request including all pertinent facts of the occasion along with requester's return address and telephone number. Only the subject, parent or legal guardian may request a birth record. If the request is for an FS-240, the original FS-240 or a notarized affidavit attesting to its disposition must be included with the request. If a birth record is to be amended or corrected, appropriate certified documents supporting the request must be included.

Where to Write/Call

U.S. Department of State
Passport Correspondence Office
1111 Nineteenth St., NW, Suite 510
Washington, D.C. 20524
Telephone: (202) 485-8300


Prices are subject to change. Please call to verify beforehand. 

$40 for one copy FS-240.

$20 for first copy and $10 for each additional copy for DS-1350, report of death, certificate of witness to marriage and certificate of no record.

Turnaround Time

Unlike passport agencies which receive all of the documentation needed from the applicant, most consular vital records must be retrieved from off-site repositories, including the National Archives. Since the time required to retrieve these records varies significantly based upon the type of record and date of occurrence, it is impossible to give a definite turnaround time. However, most cases can be completed within four to eight weeks.

Expedite Service

Overnight delivery can save about 10 days processing time, but there is no way to reduce the retrieval time. Overnight return via Federal Express is available for an additional $10 or the requester may provide a pre-paid airbill for a carrier of choice.

Additional Information

The Passport Correspondence Office can be reached at (202) 485-8300. A clerk or caseworker will be pleased to assist you.

How to Request Reports of Death for People Serving in the Armed Forces

Reports of death of person serving in the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force or Coast Guard) or civilian employees of the Department of Defense are not maintained by the U.S. Department of State. In these cases, requests for copies of records should be sent to the National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records), 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5100.

How to Report the Death and Obtain Death Records of U.S. Citizens Who Die in Foreign Countries

The death of a U.S. citizen in a foreign country may be reported to the nearest U.S. consulate office. If reported, and a copy of the local death certificate and evidence of U.S. citizenship are presented, the consul prepares the official Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad (Form OF-180). A copy of the report of death is then filed permanently in the U.S. Department of State (see exception below)

  • To obtain a copy of a report filed in 1963 or after, write to Passport Services, Correspondence Branch, U.S. Department of State, Washington, DC 20522-1705.  The fee for a copy is $20 for the first copy, $10 for each additional copy. (Fee may be subject to change, please call before you mail your request.)
  • Reports of Death filed before 1963 are maintained by the National Archives and records Service, Diplomatic Records Branch, Washington, DC  20408.  Requests for such records should be sent directly to that office.
  • Reports of death of person serving in the Armed Forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, or Coast Guard0 or civilian employees of the Department of Defense are not maintained by the U.S. Department of State. In these cases, requests for copies of records should be sent to the National Personnel Records Center (military Personnel Records), 9700 Page Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63132-5100

How to Report a Birth of a U.S. Citizen Born Abroad 

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child's claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record is in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America. This document, referred to as the Consular Report of Birth or FS-240, is considered a basic United States citizenship document. An original FS-240 is furnished to the parent(s) at the time the registration is approved.

Reporting the Birth

A Consular Report of Birth can be prepared only at an American consular office overseas while the child is younger than 18.

Usually, in order to establish the child's citizenship under the appropriate provisions of U.S. law, the following documents must be submitted: (1) an official record of the child's foreign birth; (2) evidence of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship (e.g., a certified birth certificate, current U.S. passport, or certificate of naturalization or citizenship); (3) evidence of the parents' marriage, if applicable; and (4) affidavits of parent(s) residence and physical presence in the United States.

In certain cases it may be necessary to submit additional documents, including affidavits of paternity and support, divorce decrees from prior marriages or medical reports of blood compatibility. All evidentiary documents should be certified as true copies of the originals by the registrar of the office wherein each document was issued.

A service fee of $40 is prescribed under the provisions of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Section 22.1, item 9, for a consular report of birth.

Note: Consular reports of birth are not available for persons born in Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Panama Canal Zone before October 1, 1979, the Philippines before July 4, 1946, American Samoa, Guam, Swains Island, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or the former U.S. Trust Territories of the Pacific Islands. Birth certificates for those areas, except the Panama Canal Zone, must be obtained from their respective offices of vital statistics. Panama Canal Zone birth certificates should be requested through the Vital Records Services Section of Passport Services (see address below.) The fees are the same as those for DS-1350.

Documents Available

Consular Report of Birth (FS-240)

On Nov. 1, 1990, the Department of State ceased issuing multiple copies of the Consular Report of Birth (FS-240). As of that date, a new format for the FS-240 went into effect. All previously issued FS-240s are acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship (Public Law 97-241 - Aug. 24, 1982). To obtain a replacement for a lost or mutilated document, please submit a written request including the original FS-240 or a notarized affidavit concerning the loss of the FS-240 and a $40 fee, payable to the Department of State, to the address below. The affidavit must contain the name, date and place of birth of the subject, a statement regarding the whereabouts of the original FS-240, and be signed by the subject, parent, or legal representative.

Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350)

If the birth was recorded in the form of a Consular Report of Birth, a Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350) can be issued in multiple copies. The DS-1350 contains the same information as that on the new format consular report of birth and is acceptable for all legal purposes. The DS-1350 is not issued overseas and can be obtained only by writing to the address below.

Amending/Correcting the Consular Report of Birth

To amend or correct a consular report of birth, a written request must be accompanied by certified copies of all documents appropriate for effecting the change (e.g., foreign birth certificate, marriage certificate, court ordered adoption or name change, birth certificates of the adopting or legitimating parents, affidavits, etc.). The original FS-240 or replacement FS-240, or a notarized affidavit concerning its whereabouts, also must be included.

Obtaining Copies of the  FS-240, DS-1350, and Panama Canal Zone Birth Certificates

Note: Please call to verify the cost before sending in.

The DS-1350 or a replacement FS-240 can be obtained by writing to:

Vital Records Section
Passport Services
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 510
Washington, D.C. 20522-1705
Telephone: (202) 485-8300

A written request should include: (1) full name of child at birth (plus any adoptive names); (2) date and place of birth; (3) names of parents; (4) serial number, if known, of the FS-240 (on those issued after November 1, 1990) if known; (5) any available passport information; (6) signature of requester; and (7) notarized affidavit for a replacement FS-240 (if applicable). For Panama Canal Zone (PCZ) birth certificates, just include items (1) through (3).

The fee for an FS-240 is $40. The fees for DS-1350 and PCZ certificates are $20 for the first copy, $10 each additional copy. (Price subject to change, please call to verify prices before you send in request). Make check or bank draft drawn on a bank in the United States, or money order payable to the Department of State. The department will assume no responsibility for cash lost in the mail. Documents will be provided to the person who is the subject of the report of birth, the subject's parents, the subject's legal guardian, authorized government agency or a person who submits written authorization from the subject of the report of birth.

Certificate of Citizenship Issued by the Immigration and Naturalization Service

A person who acquired citizenship of the United States through birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) or who acquired U.S. citizenship by derivative naturalization, may apply for a Certificate of Citizenship under the provisions of Section 341 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Application for this document may be made in the United States to the nearest office of the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Upon approval, a certificate of citizenship will be issued in the name of the subject, but only if that person is in the United States. Obtaining this certificate involves presentation of basically the same documentation required to obtain a consular report of birth. Under law, the consular report of birth and the certificate of citizenship are equally acceptable as proof of citizenship.

How to Request Birth Records of Alien Children Adopted by U.S. Citizen

Birth certifications for alien children adopted by U.S. citizens and lawfully admitted to the United States may be obtained from the Immigration and Naturalization Service if the birth information is on file. You can find the address and phone number in your telephone directory. To obtain the birth data, it is necessary to provide the Immigration Office with proof of adoption or legitimation.

Requesting Information or Have Questions Concerning Children Before Their Adoption

If you are requesting any information or have questions on an adopted child prior to the adoption, please contact Community Based Services, Family and Child Stability Branch, Frankfort, KY at (502) 564-2147. 

Requesting Birth Records of U.S. Citizens Born in the Panama Canal Zone

Beginning Dec. 1, 1999, vital records formerly issued by the Panama Canal Commission are being issued by the Department of State.

Please direct your inquiry to:

Correspondence Branch
Passport Services
1111 19th Street NW, Suite 510
Washington, D. C. 20522-1705
Telephone: (202) 485-8300

Please include the following in your request:

Purpose of request 
Name at birth, death, marriage 
Date of birth, death, marriage 
City and country of birth, death, marriage 
Signature of subject or guardian 

For birth records, also include:

Father's name
Date and place (city or state and country) of birth 
Mother's name 
Date and place (city or state and country) of birth 
Any U. S. passport information 

Please indicate the number of documents desired. Please call for current fees. Check or money order must be signed, dated and made payable to Department of State. Remittance must be payable in U. S. dollars through a U.S. bank. Non-U.S. money is not acceptable. Please do not send cash.

What Records Are Maintained by Foreign Countries

Most, but not all, foreign countries record births and deaths and most foreign countries will provide certificates of births and deaths occurring within their boundaries.

Persons who need a copy of a foreign birth or death record should contact the embassy or the nearest consulate in the U.S. of the country in which the death occurred. Address and telephone numbers for these offices are listed in the US  Department of State Publication 7846, Foreign Consular Offices in the United States, which is available in many local libraries. 

If the embassy or consulate is unable to provide assistance, US citizens may obtain assistance by writing to the Office of Overseas Citizens Services, US Department of State, Washington, DC  20520-4818.  Aliens residing in the US may be able to obtain assistance through the embassy or consulate of their country of nationality.

Records of Birth and Death Occurring on Vessels or Aircraft on the High Seas

When a birth or death occurs on the high seas, whether in an aircraft or on a vessel, the record is usually filed at the next port of call. 

If the vessel or aircraft docked or landed at a foreign port, requests for copies of the records may be made to the U.S. Department of State, Washington, DC 20522-1705.

If the first port of entry was in the United States, write to the registration authority in the city where the vessel or aircraft docked or landed in the United States.

If the vessel was of U.S. registry, contact the local authorities at the port of entry and/or search the vessel logs at the U.S. Coast Guard facility at the vessel's final port of call for that voyage.