The Kentucky Office of Community Health Workers (KOCHW) provides leadership, support and guidance to expand and elevate the community health worker (CHW) profession across Kentucky.
Community Health Worker Certification
The Kentucky Office of Community Health Workers issues official certification for community health workers who successfully demonstrate all eight core competencies through completion of qualified training or related work experience. CHWs who wish to apply for certification are encouraged to read the CHW Certification Manual and accompanying materials before beginning their application.
- Currently live in Kentucky and/or employed as a CHW in Kentucky
- Legal U.S. resident at least 18 years old
- Demonstrate approved CHW core competencies.
- Submit completed application and certification fee to KYACHW.
- Training-based: For CHWs who have completed a CHW training program of at least 40 hours in-class instruction and a 40 hour verifiable mentorship.
- Experience-based: For applicants with at least 2,500 hours as a CHW, or similar, during the previous three years.
- General application
- Track-specific materials (copies of training certificates or official position description)
- Color photo
- Professional reference
$50 fee paid directly to KYACHW
Continuing Education for Certified Community Health Workers (CCHW)
All CCHWs are required to earn 10 continuing education units (CEUs) each year.
At least five of those hours must come from KOCHW-approved training. You may earn
up to five hours from independent training.
For the full list of KDPH-approved training please email
Upcoming KOCHW-Approved Training Opportunities for CCHWs
Continuing Education Application for Organizations
This application is for organizations seeking continuing education credit approval for CHW training. Applications must include:
Forms must be submitted at least four weeks prior to training date. Approved training must provide a certificate of completion which includes:
- Name of the CCHW
- Name of training organization
- Title of training
- Date of training
All certificates and agendas must include the following statement:
This program has been approved by the Kentucky Department for Public Health Office ofCommunity Health Workers to provide X number of continuing education credits.CHW Impact Stories of Success Report
Stories of Success Report is used to demonstrate the collective impact of CHW programs in Kentucky.
The 2021 CHW Stories of Success report now is available.
2020 CHW Stories of Success.
Submissions for the 2021 Stories of Success report are now closed. Submissions for the 2022 report will open in fall of 2022.
2021 Stories of Success Report Webinar
CHW Stories of Success Worksheet