The Kentucky Diabetes Prevention and Control Program health initiative is designed to reduce new cases of type 2 diabetes and the sickness, disability and death associated with diabetes and its complications.
The Kentucky Diabetes Prevention and Control Program (KDPCP) uses the following approaches to meet its objectives:
- Community mobilization (state and local coalitions)
- County diabetes assessments
- Community awareness education
- Diabetes and prediabetes group education
- Professional education
- Quality improvement efforts
- Surveillance, reports, evaluation
Kentucky Diabetes Resources
Diabetes Resource Directory offers diabetes resources to locate classes, support groups and coalitions by county and surrounding area. In addition, the directory contains direct links to sites that list diabetes specialists and educators by location.
Kentucky National Diabetes Prevention Programs
The National Diabetes Prevention Program led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention incorporates lifestyle changes proven to prevent type 2 diabetes.
Organizations offering the CDC-recognized Diabetes Prevention Program in Kentucky are:
Kentucky DPP Map
Kentucky DPP Employer List
Kentucky DPP Organizations By County List
Kentucky DPP Organizations By Alaphabetical List
Kentucky Diabetes Self Management Education and Support Programs
Diabetes self-management education and support (DSME) can help you learn how to manage your diabetes as part of your daily life. DSMES has been proven to:
- Improve blood sugar control leading to a decreased risk for diabetes complications
- Increase self-confidence about taking care of your diabetes
- Increase healthy eating and physical activity
- Improve quality of life
See the map below for accredited or recognized programs that meet national quality standards for DSME programs near you.
Kentucky DSMES Alphabetical Listing
Kentucky DSME Map