What It Is
The Medicaid Waiver Management Application (MWMA) is an electronic system used to enroll individuals in Medicaid's Home and Community Based (HCBS) waiver programs and manage their care.
MWMA is also one of several initiatives designed to help the Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS) improve its HCBS programs. To guide these improvements, CHFS has identified seven improvement objectives:
- Streamline how individuals and authorized representatives access and apply for services (i.e., no wrong door).
- Provide a portal for individuals and or their representatives to access their information and review and approve timesheets electronically.
- Ensure the right people are being enrolled in the right programs.
- Once enrolled, ensure individuals are receiving the services they need.
- Optimize the sharing of information about individual care needs among authorized direct providers thereby reducing paperwork.
- Allow for more timely authorization of services and eliminate faxing.
- Implement the final rules issued by CMS for HCBS waiver programs.
All waiver regulations mandate the use of MWMA. All new waiver applications, level of care requests, and plan of care requests must be submitted through MWMA. Paper or verbal processes are no longer accepted. Case managers can find more informaton on the required use of MWMA by reading the Mandatory MWMA Communication
and viewing the MWMA Case Management Webinar
Users can access MWMA here. You must already have an MWMA username and password to access the system using this link. If you do not have access, please contact your organization administrator.
Please note: submitting information through MWMA starts a prescreening to review if an individual may be eligible for a waiver program. Only those individuals who meet the prescreening criteria will go on to a formal application.
MWMA User Support
Resources regarding the use of MWMA can be found in the "Additional Information" section on the right side of this page.
MWMA training materials are available on the MWMA Training Portal. Materials include the MWMA User Guide, job aids, tip sheets and web-based training courses. Individuals must be registered TRIS users to access the training portal. You can request access to the training portal by sending your name and email address to the MWMA mailbox.
If you are encountering technical issues, system error messages, or have general questions about MWMA, please contact the MWMA/Partner Portal Contact Center. The Contact Center can be reached by phone at 1-800-635-2570. After the DMS welcome message plays, press 1, 6 and 2 to be transferred directly to the MWMA Contact Center. The Contact Center can also be reached via email. Representatives are available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time. If the Contact Center cannot fix an issue, a ticket will be created and escalated to the MWMA production support team.
You can also find information on who to contact about specific MWMA issues here.