Choosing the right caregiver is one of the most important decisions that a
family can make. Get as much information as you can to make sure the choice you
make is the best one. Talk to friends, family members, and other parents with
children in child care and get their opinions.
The Public Child Care Provider Search lists child care providers in your area. You can also view inspection reports, hours of operation, and the child care providers Kentucky All STARS level.
Please tell us if you need assistance because you do not speak English or have a disability. Free language assistance and/or other aids and services are available upon request. To receive free interpreter services, call 1-866-291- 8931.
When looking for the best caregiver for your family, visit several
facilities/providers and compare. Follow this checklist:
- Watch the staff/provider and children interaction.
- See what activities are available for the children.
- Ask questions and make sure your questions are answered to your
- Check for a current license or certificate and that any current
deficiencies are posted.
- Things to think about when choosing a provider:
- the child's age;
- the child's personality;
- the locations of the facility/provider compared to your home and workplace;
- the hours of the facility/provider and any fees charged.
- After your child is in a facility, drop in unannounced at various times of
the day to see what the conditions are like. If you see anything that makes you
uneasy during your visit, talk to the caregiver or the director about your
concerns. Keep going back to the facility/provider to check on things. Watch for
recurring bumps or bruises or changes in your child's behavior. Talk to other
parents when you pick up your child. Compare notes with them. Trust your
instincts and look for another child care facility/provider, if